What are Symbols?
Symbol-based communication is often used by individuals who are unable to communicate using speech alone and who have not yet developed, or have difficulty developing literacy skills. Symbols offer a visual representation of a word or idea.
How can students benefit from symbol-based communication?
Students who are provided authentic and meaningful opportunities to communicate using a symbol-based system across learning and living environments benefit in a multitude of ways including:
- development of language skills
- development of literacy skills
- having more to say to more people
- building relationships and connectedness and belonging
- decreasing frustration/behaviours
- developing a better understanding of the world around them
- making personally meaningful requests, choices and decisions
- increasing participation across environments
- building creativity and self-expression
Please see our booklet with symbols. All the symbols are available to dowload and print.